Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Write the Vision...

"And the Lord answered me, and said, Write the vision and make it plain upon the tables, that he may run that readeth it. For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it; because it will surely come..." Haubakkuk 2:2-3

I attended an empowerment workshop a little over a year ago. While there, we attendees participated in several exercises to help us reconnect with our dreams, identify our talents, clarify our purpose and seek God's will as to how to move forward, without fear.

The exercise I enjoyed most and which still has great impact on me, was the construction of a vision board. We were given a stack of assorted magazines, markers, colored paper, glue sticks, and scissors. The assignment was to use these items to construct a "visual account of our best life."

Fantastic! Not only did this exercise tap into my fondest memories of grade school (I still love to cut and paste!) it also provided us a chance to see life as it could be. Pouring through the glossy pages of those magazines freed us up to dream BIG!

However, I found that the limited space of the 8 1/2 x 11 construction paper, also made me focus in on what things were most important. There was no room on my small canvas for frivolous desires. I found myself searching those magazines for representations of the things that matter to my heart, things that moved my spirit.

At the end of the exercise I was pleased and proud of  my work. My vision board does indeed represent my best life, including family, worship, writing, music, fellowship and celebration of all that God has provided. This simple 8 1/2 x 11 sheet represents those things most important to me now and maps a path for me to follow my dreams and live out my purpose. It hangs on the mirror opposite my bed.

Each morning when I wake, I see my vision board and it reminds me that God had a vision for my life when He created me. Everything He's blessed me with works to fulfill His purpose in me. "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made..." Psalm 139:13-14

Sister, brother, friend...can you see your vision? Have you written it out, is it plain to you? If you have not taken the time, I suggest you do. Spend some time before God, searching out those things that matter most, reconnecting with those dreams you may have pushed aside, seeking out the talents God blessed you with. Seek Him in prayer and God will reveal to you His vision for your life. When you can see the vision, write it down so that you will have a reminder of where your life is going. Or better still, get some magazines, markers, scissors and glue and have some fun...Cut and Paste!

Special thanks to my friend Christy Demetrakis, "The Empowered Speaker". Your book, "Faith to Conquer Fear" as well as the "2013 Faith to Conquer Fear" workshop continue to have positive impact on my life. Keep sharing your gift!
http://www.empoweredspeaker.com/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment