Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Take Me to the Water




Acts 2:38, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit" (NIV)

December 4, 2012 I received confirmation that God still answers prayer and that He still inclines his ear to the desires of my heart. On that rainy, cool, Sunday morning, my middle son, Ean, committed his life to Christ and was baptized. Talk about a proud mama, I am still riding that emotional high! As a christian parent, the moment your child accepts Christ is a wonderful victory. It is a great feeling of accomplishment to, as Prov. 22:6 says, "train up a child in the way he should go..." (KJV).  Ean was the third of my four children to embark on Gods path. I was filled with joy and great peace watching my child begin a journey to his own personal relationship with The Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

This day was made all the sweeter because I prayed 5 long years for it! Ean was always my Prodigal Son. From a very young age he would wander off on his own, preferring to scout out the mysteries of the world solo. From age three on, Ean was the child I had to search for in the grocery store, the one who would be missing when I turned around from the deli counter. When he got a little older, Ean would leave the house and be gone for hours. Upon his return, my worried questioning was met with a nonchalant "just went for a walk". Ean always had a knack for disappearing, which drove the protective mother in me nuts.

As the years went on and he became a teenager, Ean became more and more isolated from the family, preferring the company of his friends or his own brooding solitude. One Saturday evening when Ean was 15, I was fussing for he and Juan to get their clothes ready for church the next morning. They both began pleading their case for staying home. I figured they just wanted to lounge around and play video games, which I felt they did too much, so I insisted they get their butts in gear and do what I said. At that point, Ean turned to me and literally sneered "I don't believe in your God and I am sick of you forcing me to go to church with you every weekend!"

Well!!! You could have stuck a fork in me at that moment...I was done! He had completely knocked the wind out me, as if he'd kicked me in the stomach with his size 15 shoe. I spent the next week, wrestling with  that shocking declaration. Did he really mean it? Where had I failed as a parent? Was my son doomed to hell? Where had I gone so terribly wrong? Was there anything I could do to save him? Finally the Holy Spirit moved on me and said simply -PRAY.

And that is what I did. I had prayed for all my children consistently throughout their lives. I prayed for health and recovery when they were sick or hurt, safety when they were active at play and in sports, protection when they were away from my watchful care. I prayed for their futures, that they would have love, joy, peace and success at whatever they set their hearts and minds to do.

BUT NOW I began to pray for the salvation of their souls. I pleaded with God to show himself strong in my children's lives. I prayed that they would have a thirst for Gods word, a hunger for His promises. I prayed that the Holy Spirit would take up residence in them and that they would develop faith as large as the mustard tree, not just the seed. I prayed that one day my children would see the face of God. Since I began praying in this way, three of the four have come to Jesus. Hallelujah, He answers prayer!

Never give up on those you love. Never be afraid to witness for Christ. You may be all the God they see!

(To the one who still doubts, there is no time like the present, I know your heart. God has kept you through many trials, there are more to come. Walk with Him, study His word. Accept Him and He will answer your questions. He will put an end to your doubts. I love you and I will never give up. I am always in prayer for you. God knows your name!)



No comments:

Post a Comment